If you have never attended college before, you are considered a new student.
Your first step is to choose a degree or certificate program. If you are not sure what you want to study, we offer information sessions to help you learn about our programs and the admissions process.
Step One: Apply for admission to Bates
- Complete your FREE online application. If you are a returning student, you already have a SID and should not apply for admission. Please contact 253.680.7002 to schedule an appointment with an advisor
- Upon acceptance of your application, you will receive an email with your next steps and your assigned Student Identification number (SID).
- If you have questions or issues filling out the online application, contact Megan at 253.680.7134.
Step Two: Attend a virtual information session
Information Sessions for career programs have moved to a new format! This is your opportunity to get all the information you need in one place for becoming a successful student while at Bates Technical College, no matter what your program of study. Best of all, since it’s virtual, you can participate when it’s convenient for you.
“Getting Started: Steps to Enrollment” is a virtual information session offering a step-by-step introduction to what you need to do to be admitted to Bates and what resources you will want to take advantage of as you begin your educational journey with us.
So, let’s get started! Join us on Zoom for a Q&A Steps to Enrollment session.
Step Three: Apply for financial aid
- Create a FSA ID at www.studentaid.ed.gov.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA). Have your tax return handy to answer the income questions. Bates Technical College’s school code is 012259.
- Complete other materials as requested by the Financial Aid Office.
Step Four: Establish college placement
- Bates Technical College is now accepting multiple measures for college placement. These are:
Use this link to upload multiple measure information for use by your Career Advisor to assist with college placement.
- ACT/SAT scores
- High school transcripts
- Smarter Balance scores
- College/university transcripts
- Previously taken Accuplacer test results
- Please note that some programs may require additional assessments for entry.
- Official college transcripts: If you have attended college or university before, you will need to submit an official transcript to have applicable earned credit applied to your career program. See Bates Technical College’s “Transfer Student” page for more information.
Need to improve your math skills?
We’ve developed a free Math Bootcamp to get you ready for Bates Technical College math classes, which are required for every degree and many certificate programs here. Learn more and sign up for free here!
Step Five: Register for classes
- Once you have completed the above steps, you are ready to register for classes or be placed on a waitlist. All new students are required to meet with a career advisor to register for classes their first quarter. Call 253.680.7002 (Downtown/Central/South) to schedule your appointment.
- Please bring your assessment scores or transcripts to this appointment.
- Your non-refundable $50 registration fee is due at this time. If the registration fee is a hardship, please discuss this with your career advisor as alternative funding sources are sometimes available.
Step Six: Attend New Student Orientation
- Register to attend a New Student Orientation. Get your parking pass and student ID card. Learn about student resources at the college.