If you have never attended college before, you are considered a new student.
Your first step is to choose a degree or certificate program. If you are not sure what you want to study, we offer information sessions to help you learn about our programs and the admissions process.
Step One: Apply for admission to Bates
- Complete your FREE online application. If you are a returning student, you already have a SID and should not apply for admission. Please contact 253.680.7002 to schedule an appointment with an advisor
- Upon acceptance of your application, you will receive an email with your next steps and your assigned Student Identification number (SID).
- If you have questions or issues filling out the online application, contact Megan at 253.680.7134.
Step Two: Attend an information session
- While you are waiting for your application to be processed, attend a free information session to learn about the admissions process. Our admissions officers will share important information about the application process, resources to pay for college and admissions requirements for your specific program.
Step Three: Apply for financial aid
- Create a FSA ID at www.studentaid.ed.gov.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA). Have your tax return handy to answer the income questions. Bates Technical College’s school code is 012259.
- Complete other materials as requested by the Financial Aid Office.
Step Four: Establish college placement
- All new students must take an assessment to help us place you in the appropriate-level classes. Most new students take the Accuplacer assessment at the college’s testing center. The test is $25 and offered Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. at our Downtown Campus.
- If you are a recent high school graduate, you can submit your SMARTER BALANCE results.
- If you have assessment scores from an entry assessment within the past two years, you can bring those to your registration appointment.
Step Five: Register for classes
- Once you have completed the above steps, you are ready to register for classes or be placed on a waitlist. All new students are required to meet with a career advisor to register for classes their first quarter. Call 253.680.7002 (Downtown/Central) or 253.680.7403 (South) to schedule your appointment.
- Please bring your assessment scores or transcripts to this appointment.
- Your non-refundable $50 registration fee is due at this time. If the registration fee is a hardship, please discuss this with your career advisor as alternative funding sources are sometimes available.
Step Six: Attend New Student Orientation
- Register to attend a New Student Orientation. Get your parking pass and student ID card. Learn about student resources at the college.