Start here for a new career. We're glad you're here and we're ready to help you get started. Over 800 students graduate from Bates each year and with over 50 programs offering both short-term certificate and Associate of Applied Science degree options, you're sure to find the right program that will help you reinvent yourself.
Steps to Getting Started
Apply for Admission to Bates Technical College
Step : Apply for Admission to Bates Technical College
- Complete the online application.
- Upon acceptance, you will receive an email that includes your next steps.
- Step 2 Attend an information Session
Step : Attend an information Session
- Sign up for a free Information Session.
- At the information session, our Career Advisors will share important information about the application process, resources to pay for college and admissions requirements.
- Step 3 Apply for Financial Aid
Step : Apply for Financial Aid
- Create a FSA ID at www.studentaid.ed.gov.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Have your tax return handy to answer the income questions. Bates Technical College's school code is 012259.
- Complete other materials as requested by the Financial Aid Office.
- Step 4 Establish College Placement
Step : Establish College Placement
- If you have attended college before, you will need to obtain official college transcripts.
- If you are a first time college student, you can submit your high school transcripts and SMARTER BALANCE results if you are a high school graduate as of June 2016; or you can submit official advanced placement scores.
- If you have assessment scores from an entry assessment within the past two years, you can bring those to your registration appointment.
- If you do not have transcripts, you can take the Accuplacer assessment at the college's testing center. The test is $25 and offered Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. at our Downtown Campus.
- Step 5 Register for Classes
Step : Register for Classes
- Once you have completed the above steps, you are ready to register for classes. All new students are required to meet with a career advisor to register for classes their first quarter. Call 253.680.7002 (Downtown/Central) or 253.680.7403 (South) to schedule your appointment.
- Please bring your assessment scores or transcripts to this appointment.
- Your non-refundable $50 registration fee is due at this time. If the registration fee is a hardship, please discuss this with your career advisor as alternative funding sources are sometimes available.
- Step 6 Attend New Student Orientation
Step : Attend New Student Orientation
- Register to attend a New Student Orientation. Get your parking pass and student ID. Learn about student resources at the college.
- Learn how to get started (English, Chinese, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Korean)
- Comenzando una carrera en Bates
- Explore Our Areas of Study
Start here for a new career. We're glad you're here and we're ready to help you get started.