Start here for a new career. We're glad you're here and we're ready to help you get started. Over 800 students graduate from Bates each year and with over 50 programs offering both short-term certificate and Associate of Applied Science degree options, you're sure to find the right program that will help you reinvent yourself.
Steps to Getting Started
Apply for Admission to Bates Technical College
Step 1: Apply for Admission to Bates Technical College
- Complete the online application.
- Upon acceptance, you will receive an email that includes your next steps.
- Step 2 Attend a Virtual Information Session
Step 2: Attend a Virtual Information Session
Information Sessions for career programs have moved to a new format! This is your opportunity to get all the information you need in one place for becoming a successful student while at Bates Technical College, no matter what your program of study. Best of all, since it’s virtual, you can participate when it’s convenient for you.
“Getting Started: Steps to Enrollment” is a virtual information session offering a step-by-step introduction to what you need to do to be admitted to Bates and what resources you will want to take advantage of as you begin your educational journey with us.
So, let’s get started! Join us on Zoom for a Q&A Steps to Enrollment session.
- Step 3 Apply for financial aid, learn about ways to pay
Step 3: Apply for financial aid, learn about ways to pay
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA) at fafsa.ed.gov. Create a FSA ID, be sure to keep safe, you will need it every year. This video can walk you through a FSA ID.
- You will need your FSA ID and previous year’s tax return or W2s handy to answer the income questions. Bates Technical College's school code is 012259.
- Visit the Workforce Education Services page to learn about some of the special funding programs such as Worker Retraining funding, Opportunity Grant and other programs you may qualify for.
- Bates Technical College Foundation scholarships can provide financial assistance for educational expenses. Submit an application here.
- For one-on-one support completing the FAFSA/WASFA application, the EOC (Education Opportunity Center) with MDC, offers assistance in applying for financial aid: email@example.com
- Otterbot is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Text "Hi Otter" to 360-928-7281 to help Washington students navigate financial aid for college and career education.
- FAFSA/WASFA Workshop: For one-on-one help with completing a FAFSA/WASFA or information on additional funding resources, join us for one of our monthly workshops. Register here.
- If you need additional help completing your FAFSA, you can schedule an appointment with a Financial Aid Specialist at our downtown campus. Visit our main Financial Aid page to schedule an appointment.
- Step 4 Establish College Placement
Step 4: Establish College PlacementBates Technical College is now accepting multiple measures for college placement. These are:
Use this link to upload multiple measure information for use by your Career Advisor to assist with college placement.
- ACT/SAT scores
- High school transcripts
- Smarter Balance scores
- College/university transcripts
- Previously taken Accuplacer test results
- Please note that some programs may require additional assessments for entry.
- Official college transcripts: If you have attended college or university before, you will need to submit an official transcript to have applicable earned credit applied to your career program. See Bates Technical College's "Transfer Student" page for more information.
Need to improve your math skills?We’ve developed a free Math Bootcamp to get you ready for Bates Technical College math classes, which are required for every degree and many certificate programs here. Learn more and sign up for free here!
- Step 5 Register for Classes
Step 5: Register for Classes
- Once you have completed the above steps, you are ready to register for classes. All new students are required to meet with a career advisor to register for classes their first quarter. Call 253.680.7002 to schedule your appointment.
- Please bring your assessment scores or transcripts to this appointment.
- Your non-refundable $50 registration fee is due at this time. If the registration fee is a hardship, please discuss this with your career advisor as alternative funding sources are sometimes available.
- Step 6 Attend New Student Orientation
Step 6: Attend New Student Orientation
- Register to attend a New Student Orientation. Get your parking pass and student ID. Learn about student resources at the college.
- Learn how to get started (English, Chinese, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Korean)
- Comenzando una carrera en Bates
- Explore Our Areas of Study
Start here for a new career. We're glad you're here and we're ready to help you get started.Bates Technical College offers classes in multiple formats. Lectures are remote and labs are on campus with reduced size, using strict safety precautions. We aim to provide a complete educational experience while prioritizing the safety of all students and employees. Learn how we keep students and employees healthy and safe on our COVID-19 resource page.