Committed to your success.
At Bates Technical College, we understand that everyone who steps onto one of our three vibrant campuses arrives with their own diverse and unique set of circumstances. Our friendly staff are here to help you succeed. Bates offers several services designed to help you reach your educational goals. Whether you’re just getting started and need to learn about the admissions process, or whether you’re a current student looking for places to get help, you’ve come to the right place.
Need help? Try our Virtual Student Services!
Below and at right, you’ll find helpful resources aimed at supporting you at every turn during your educational journey.
Accessing your courses
Your health and well-being is our priority. Remote learning made easy.
In response to COVID-19, most of our college programs have shifted to remote delivery. Canvas is our online learning portal.
How to log into Canvas?
- Visit the college Canvas page
- Enter your Student ID number for BOTH username and password. You can change your password after you log on.
- Using Canvas will allow you do a variety of things remotely, like read the course syllabus, take quizzes, submit assignments, participate in discussions, check your grades, chat with your instructor, create a dashboard for easy access, update your contact information, and stay on track to graduate.
About the Online Transition Course on Canvas
All students who registered are enrolled in the Online Transition Course. Here, you’ll find helpful resources, like the video below, to guide you and make this transition as smooth as possible.
New to Canvas? Feel a little unsure of yourself? This video will walk you through the basics of Canvas, including:
- How to login
- How to customize your dashboard
- How to access the new to-do list in Canvas
- How to customize your account settings, including your password and your notification settings
- A friendly reminder to download the app.
Contact the Online Learning Center:
At this time, you can pay two ways:
Online, using this portal
Chrome Internet browser users: If you are having difficulties making your payment online, please try using Firefox or Internet Explorer. If you still cannot pay online, please email us at Cashier@batestech.edu
By mailing a check:
You can mail a check to:
Bates Technical College, Cashier
1101 S Yakima Ave
Tacoma, WA 98405
Note: The Cashier’s Office is currently processing all refunds as checks, sent directly to the address the student has on file with the college. Checks are processed twice a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays. The exceptions are the students who paid online through the college website, those are refunded back to the same credit or debit card used on the website. Again, this is only web payments, through our partner, CyberSource.
- Apply for financial aid, if you haven’t already
- Call an advisor to register for classes: 253.680.7002. View Class Schedule here.
- Work with your instructor to make a plan for your online/lab learning schedule
- Apply for admission to Bates Technical College
- Complete steps to enrollment with an advisor
- Apply for financial aid
- Establish college placement
- Call an advisor to register for classes:
- Attend an online new student orientation
- Attend remote classes and limited on-site labs
Easy downloadable resources
CARES Act grant funds
Bates Technical College Foundation
The Bates Foundation’s only mission is to provide resources to support students and college success and our donors want to help you! The Emergency Assistance Fund provides support to students who are most at risk of abandoning their education due to financial hardship caused by the pandemic. The funding can be used to provide essential needs such as rent, food, transportation, etc. For more information and the application link go to: https://www.batestech.edu/foundation/emergency-aid/
Questions? Contact LeAnn Dreier email@example.com
If you are facing financial strain or hardships due to COVID-19, the following resources are available to help.
- Financial Counseling from Sound Outreach available digitally Monday through Friday
- Scenarios & Benefits Available for employees affected by COVID-19. Provided by the Employment Security Department.
- Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department COVID-19 Financial Resources page
- Washington Employment Security Department page for workers & businesses affected by COVID-19 (includes a worker Q&A and an employer Q&A, with links)
- How to access free Comcast Xfinity WiFi
- Apply for the Tacoma Public Utilities Emergency Assistance Program
- Food and supplies delivery for those who are sick, quarantined, immunocompromised, or elderly. Provided by Tacoma Mutual Aid Collective.
- Nourish Mobile Food Bank locations
- Food pantry locations in Pierce County. Provided by Emergency Food Network.
We understand that the current public health emergency in response to COVID-19 has disrupted life, and you might be feeling anxiety or stress.
Bates Technical College is here for you.
Our College Counselor Diane Shepard is available for virtual meetings. You can find her contact information here.
Helpful resources curated by College Counselor Diane Shepard:
Stress and anxiety
- Managing stress and anxiety
- Sanvello: Virtual coaching and care, guided journeys, coping tools and more (Free premium access during COVID-19 emergency)
- Guide to living with worry and anxiety amidst global uncertainty
- Taking care of your mental health in the face of uncertainty
- Tips for working from home
- Silent retreat, mediation
- Ways to get moving
- Your Mental Health
- Mindful.org: What is mindfulness?
- Mindful.org: A 5-minute breathing meditation to cultivate mindfulness
- Mindful.org: Bodyscan
- Mindful.org: How mindfulness can help you navigate the coronavirus panic
- Mindful.org: 10 minute nourishing breath meditation
- Mindful.org: Free mindfulness resources to find calm and nourish resilience during the COVID outbreak
- GreaterGood.Berekely.edu: Mindfulness Quizzes
- Bates Library Digital Equity: This guide was created as a resource for current Bates Technical College students to support online learning during the COVID-19 campus closure by providing information about free or low cost internet and devices.
- Bates Library has hotspots you can check out! Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- College campus parking lot Wi-Fi: You can drive to any of our three campuses and access the Wi-Fi network from a parking lot near the building(s). Use your Bates email and password to log into the Bates Wi-Fi network. Use this handy Wi-Fi map for more details and information.
- Xfinity Internet: You may also qualify for Xfinity (Comcast). Learn more here.
- Drive-in Wi-Fi: Launching primarily as parking lot hotspots in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the free community Wi-Fi is accessible regardless of how users arrive at the locations. Some sites also offer indoor public access during business hours. Everyone using the sites – outside or inside – must practice social distancing and hygiene precautions, including staying in your vehicle or at least six feet from other users and wearing a mask if necessary. For complete information and a map of locations, visit www.driveinwifi.wa.gov. The map will be updated as more sites come online
Visit the off-campus login page to access library databases, where you can find an array of electronic textbooks, study guides and resources.
- Associated Student Government
- Career Advising
- Class Schedule
- College Calendar
- Counseling Center
- Course Catalog
- Disability Support Services
- Emergency Laptop Loaner
- Financial Aid
- MyBates (Student portal)
- Registration Office
- Student Handbook
- Veterans Center
- VA Benefits
- Workforce Education Services
- Bias-motivated Incident Reporting
- Campus Public Safety and Alerts
- Early Learning Center
- Public Disclosures
- Report Concerns
- Student Conduct
Learning and Technology