Your gift. Your choice. Your support matters.
Bates Technical College Foundation exists to support the students and programs at Bates Technical College. Gifts of all sizes are welcome and appreciated as we enable our students to succeed and invest in the quality of our programs.
Support the College Success Fund. This fund supports areas of greatest need, awards grants that enhance our program departments, purchase equipment and supplies, assists activities and events, and much more.
Support a specific program. Each of our programs have a general program fund and an associated scholarship fund.
Support a specific initiative. Our current special initiatives include:
- Center for Allied Health Education – The Center for Allied Health Education is set to break ground in 2019 and will host our allied health programs. We are raising funds to ensure students have access to updated equipment on which to train.
- Student Food Bank – An alarming number of our students suffer from food insecurity, meaning they do not have access to the basic breakfast, lunch and dinner items their bodies need to be healthy. Students who come to class hungry tend to under perform as their hunger affects their ability to learn. You can help make sure our food pantry is stocked for these students in need.
- Student Success Fund for Emergency Support – This fund helps students who are at risk of abandoning their studies because of financial hardship. Many of our students live on limited financial resources. When an unexpected expense arises, be it an urgent medical bill, an increase in child care costs, or a flat tire, many see dropping out of college as their only option to make ends meet. Through this fund, the Foundation distributes emergency support to help bridge the gap of financial need and enable students to continue their studies.
- Field of Dreams Playground Project – The Early Learning Center at our Downtown Campus is undergoing a much–needed remodel. Serving a high portion of low-income children from our student families and community, this playground has been outfitted with new age–appropriate toys, but we are still raising funds to construct a canopy so the children can play year round under a cover!
If you do not see the fund to which you wish to donate, please contact 253.680.7160.
Who we are
The Bates Technical College Foundation was established in 1993 as a 501c3 nonprofit organization by a small group of committed volunteers. Over the years, the Foundation has grown and now has a Board of Directors comprised of volunteers, and two college staff. In 2007, the Foundation took a significant leap forward, establishing its first endowed scholarship. Today, the Foundation has significantly increased its endowed scholarships. The Foundation awards over $125,000 in student scholarships each year and also supports the college through providing program support, mini grants, equipment donations, exceptional faculty awards, and more.
Donor Bill of Rights
The Foundation strictly adheres to the Donor Bill of Rights.
The Foundation’s fiscal year operates from July 1-June 30. The Foundation is audited annually. Donor information is not shared with or sold to individuals or organizations. To see the foundation’s IRS Form 990 or audited financial statements, please email us for a copy.
Bates Foundation Board of Directors
The volunteer Board of Directors oversees all operations of the Foundation, including financial management, fundraising, special events, policy direction and strategic planning. The Board meets five times per year.
- Linda Jadwin, Chair
- Jeff Pickering, Vice Chair
- Debbie Winskill, Secretary
- Greg Markley, Treasurer
- Toby Murray
- Sue Petersohn
- George Thornhill
- Sarah Allen, Executive Director of College Advancement
- LeAnn Dreier, Development Specialist
- Heather Moss, College Trustee
- Dr. Lin Zhou, President