This program is set up to meet the State of Washington Department of Health Medical Assistant-Phlebotomist Certification requirements. It also meets the needs for student to take the National Healthcare Association national certification exam. The course includes HIV/AIDS training, Basic Anatomy and Physiology, medical terminology, how to avoid pre-analytical errors, and how to be successful in collecting blood samples. Students will learn how to collect blood samples using all of the tools currently being used in the laboratory industry.
Students will collect blood samples from fellow students to help everyone in class to meet the objectives of the class. Students will learn how to process samples to get them ready for analysis. Students will learn how to deal with age specific needs of patients, customer service, special collections, and non-blood samples.
This is the prerequisite course to the Advance Phlebotomy Program. Enrollment is limited to 20 participants. The textbook is approximately $135. As of July 1, 2016 a $75 fee (not paid to Bates) will be required for all students to access the Clinical Placements Northwest (cpnw.org) in order to complete the mandatory HIPAA training needed to receive the Medical Assistant-Phlebotomy credential through the State of Washington.
- Enrollment is limited to 20 participants
- Phlebotomy course format: virtual learning (Canvas) and onsite labs
- Instructors: Tammy Ross, Juanita Apodoca, and Kandi Benson
- Tuition cost of approximately $540.17, plus a $50 registration fee of $50 covering costs for student ID, and parking.
- Textbook: Phlebotomy Essentials with upd Access and Workbook 7th ed COST: 135.00
- Steps to Enrollment
- Median Salary: $35,510
- Annual Job Openings: 15,800
- Source: O*Net
- Last Updated: 06/08/2021
PNURS 292 (Item# 4243): Monday and Wednesday 6:00 pm-8:30 pm (10 weeks)
- Fall quarter 2021 dates Sept 27 – Dec 6, no class on Nov 24
PNURS 292 (Item# 4244): Tuesday and Thursday 6:00 pm-8:30 pm (10 weeks)
- Fall quarter 2021 dates Sept 28 – Dec 9 no class Nov 11 and 25.
Enrollment is limited to one choice only, either the Monday and Wednesday class OR the Tuesday and Thursday class. DO NOT ENROLL FOR BOTH CLASS OPTIONS
Fall quarter enrollment begins July 20, 2021 at 8:00 am.
Payment is required by August 3, 2021. Failure to pay will result in de-registration from the class and result in an open seat. All open seats will be offered for enrollment on August 9, 2021. For those enrolling for open seats, payment is due at the time of enrollment.
Advanced Phlebotomy PNURS 293 (Item# 4246)
- Fall quarter 2021 dates Sept 30 – Dec 9. No class on Nov 11 and 25
For more information regarding Phlebotomy, please contact the Advising Office at (253) 680-7002.