About our Phlebotomy program
This program is set up to meet the State of Washington Department of Health Medical Assistant-Phlebotomist Certification requirements. It also meets the needs for student to take the National Healthcare Association national certification exam.
- The course includes HIV/AIDS training, Basic Anatomy and Physiology, medical terminology, how to avoid pre-analytical errors, and how to be successful in collecting blood samples.
- You will learn how to collect blood samples using all of the tools currently being used in the laboratory industry. Students will collect blood samples from fellow students to help everyone in class to meet the objectives of the class. Students will learn how to process samples to get them ready for analysis.
- You will learn how to deal with age specific needs of patients, customer service, special collections, and non-blood samples.
- The textbook is approximately $135.
- As of July 1, 2016 a $75 fee (not paid to Bates) will be required for all students to access the Clinical Placements Northwest (cpnw.org) in order to complete the mandatory HIPAA training needed to receive the Medical Assistant-Phlebotomy credential through the State of Washington.
Phlebotomy PNURS 292 is the prerequisite course to the Advanced Phlebotomy PNURS 293.
ATTENTION: Please click on the expandable menus below for specific course information and requirements.
• Enrollment is limited to 24 participants
• Phlebotomy course format: Course lab and lectures will be held on-site. All assignments and quizzes are on Canvas and Clinical Placements Northwest (CPNW)
• Instructors: Tammy Ross, Juanita Apodoca, and Kandi Benson
• Tuition cost of approximately $566.24, plus a $50 registration to include costs for parking.
• CPNW Training modules: $75 due to CPNW.
• Textbook: Phlebotomy Essentials with enhanced Access and Workbook 7th ed. COST: $135
Phlebotomy PNURS 292
- Enrollment is limited to one choice only, either the Monday and Wednesday class OR the Tuesday and Thursday class.
- Please do not enroll for both class options.
Spring Quarter Dates
PNURS 292: Monday and Wednesday 6-8:30 p.m. (10 weeks)Spring Quarter 2023 dates: March 27 – June 5
PNURS 292: Tuesday and Thursday 6-8:30 p.m. (10 weeks)Spring Quarter 2023 dates: March 28 – June 1
Summer Quarter Dates
PNURS 292: Monday and Wednesday 6-8:30 p.m. (10 weeks)Summer Quarter 2023 dates: June 7 – August 16
PNURS 292: Tuesday and Thursday 6-8:30 p.m. (10 weeks)Summer Quarter 2023 dates: June 8 – August 17
How to Register
- Activate your ctcLink account if you haven’t done so already. Select “Activate My Account” and enter the required fields. https://gateway.ctclink.us/ If you’ve already activated your account, login and navigate to your Student Homepage.
- Follow the instructions on How to Register for Classes. Select Term -> Acad Career: Undergraduate -> Subject: Phlebotomy-PNURS -> Search. Select the 001-LEC section for Monday, Wednesday or the 002-LEC section for Tuesday, Thursday. The lab portion of the program will automatically be included.
- Pay your tuition. From the Student Homepage click the Financial Account Tile -> Payments -> Make a Payment.
- Follow instructions on how to login to Canvas.
Advanced Phlebotomy PNURS 293
PNURS292 is the prerequisite for this class.
Students cannot register online. You must have permission from the instructor to be accepted into the class.
- There is a packet that must be submitted to the instructor. Contact instructor for a packet and the exact due dates at email@example.com. Please send completed packet by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Class is every Thursday at 5 p.m.
- The clinical experiences are Monday-Friday between the hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.*
- 120 hours must be completed in the clinical setting.
- A personal computer is required for this class.
- Median Salary: $37,380
- Annual Job Openings: 15,800 (last updated May 18, 2022)
- Source: O*Net