This program is set up to meet the State of Washington Department of Health Medical Assistant-Phlebotomist Certification requirements. It also meets the needs for student to take the National Healthcare Association national certification exam. The course includes HIV/AIDS training, Basic Anatomy and Physiology, medical terminology, how to avoid pre-analytical errors, and how to be successful in collecting blood samples. Students will learn how to collect blood samples using all of the tools currently being used in the laboratory industry.
Students will collect blood samples from fellow students to help everyone in class to meet the objectives of the class. Students will learn how to process samples to get them ready for analysis. Students will learn how to deal with age specific needs of patients, customer service, special collections, and non-blood samples.
This is the prerequisite course to the Advance Phlebotomy Program. Enrollment is limited to 20 participants. The textbook is approximately $135. As of July 1, 2016 a $75 fee (not paid to Bates) will be required for all students to access the Clinical Placements Northwest (cpnw.org) in order to complete the mandatory HIPAA training needed to receive the Medical Assistant-Phlebotomy credential through the State of Washington.
- Enrollment is limited to 20 participants
- Phlebotomy course format: Course lab and lectures will be held on-site. All assignments and quizzes are on Canvas and Clinical Placements Northwest (CPNW)
- Instructors: Tammy Ross, Juanita Apodoca, and Kandi Benson
- Tuition cost of approximately $540.17, plus a $50 registration to include costs for student ID and parking.
- CPNW Training modules: $75 due to CPNW.
- Textbook: Phlebotomy Essentials with enhanced Access and Workbook 7th ed COST: $135
- Steps to Enrollment
- Median Salary: $35,510
- Annual Job Openings: 15,800
- Source: O*Net
- Last Updated: 06/08/2021
PNURS 292 (Item# 4243): Monday and Wednesday 6-8:30 p.m. (10 weeks)
- Winter quarter 2022 dates: Jan. 3 – March 16, no class Jan. 17 and Feb. 21
- Spring quarter 2022 dates: March 28 – June 6, no class May 30
- Summer quarter 2022 dates: June 8 – Aug. 17, no class July 4
PNURS 292 (Item# 4244): Tuesday and Thursday 6-8:30 p.m. (10 weeks)
- Winter quarter 2022 dates: Jan. 4 – March 10
- Spring quarter 2022 dates: March 29 – June 2
- Summer quarter 2022 dates: June 9 – Aug. 16
Enrollment is limited to one choice only, either the Monday and Wednesday class OR the Tuesday and Thursday class. DO NOT ENROLL FOR BOTH CLASS OPTIONS
Winter quarter enrollment begins Nov. 1, 2021, at 8 a.m.
Payment and the completion of the COVID-19 Attestation Form is required by Nov. 12, 2021. Failure to pay and/or complete this form will result in de-registration from the class and result in an open seat. All open seats will be offered for enrollment on Nov. 19, 2021. For those enrolling for open seats, payment is due at the time of enrollment.
Advanced Phlebotomy PNURS 293 (Item# 4246)
- Winter quarter 2022 dates: Jan. 6 – March 10
- Spring quarter 2022 dates: March 31 – June 2
- Summer quarter 2022 dates: June 9 – Aug. 11
For more information regarding Phlebotomy, please contact the Advising Office at (253) 680-7002.