Applying with Undocumented or DREAMer status

Can I apply to Bates if I am undocumented?

Yes, prospective students can apply to Bates Technical College regardless of their immigration status. There is no federal or state law that prohibits undocumented students admission to public or private universities in the State of Washington. All prospective students will be reviewed under the same admissions criteria regardless of status.

How to apply if I have undocumented status?

Step One: Apply for admission to Bates

  • Complete your FREE online application.
  • Enter 111-11-111 when asked to enter a social security number or ITIN number if you do not have one.
  • When asked about your visa status, check the “other visa” box.
  • Upon acceptance of your application, you will receive an email with your next steps and your assigned ctcLink ID number.
  • If you have questions or issues filling out the online application, please call 253.680.7002 or email


Step Two: Attend an information session

  • While you are waiting for your application to be processed, attend a free information session to learn about the admissions process. Our admissions officers will share important information about the application process, resources to pay for college and admissions requirements for your specific program.


Step Three: Apply for financial aid

  • You could qualify for resident tuition. Bates is committed to lowering the obstacles prospective students may face on the path to a college education. Undocumented students have limited eligibility for financial aid; therefore, we have made it a pledge to provide the maximum amount of resources available.
  • To apply for the Washington College Grant, low-income, non-citizen students unable to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) due to immigration status, may instead complete the free Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA). To find out more information and start your application today, visit click on “Start A New WASFA.”


Step Four: Establish college placement

  • All new students must take an assessment to help us place you in the appropriate-level classes.
  • If you are a recent high school graduate, you can submit your SMARTER BALANCE results.
  • If you have assessment scores from an entry assessment within the past two years, you can bring those to your registration appointment.


Step Five: Register for classes

  • Once you have completed the above steps, you are ready to register for classes or be placed on a waitlist. All new students are required to meet with a career advisor to register for classes their first quarter. Call 253.680.7002 (Downtown/Central) or 253.680.7403 (South) to schedule your appointment.
  •  Please bring your assessment scores or transcripts to this appointment.
  • Your non-refundable $50 registration fee is due at this time. If the registration fee is a hardship, please discuss this with your career advisor as alternative funding sources are sometimes available.


Step Six: Attend New Student Orientation

Register to attend a New Student Orientation. Get your parking pass and student ID card. Learn about student resources at the college.


For any questions related to this information, please contact the Admissions Office, 253-680-7002, regarding enrollment or the Registration Office, 253-680-7019, regarding residency questions.