Work-Study FAQs

What is work-study?

Work-study employment is a type of financial aid that a student earns in the form of a paycheck. The program is either federally funded or state funded. The funds are intended to help offset educational expenses. Wages are earned by working on campus or at an approved off-campus site.

Who can be a work-study employee?

Students are considered for work-study employment based on financial need. A completed FAFSA or WASFA application is required prior to April 1st. Eligibility is determined by the Financial Aid Office in Room A208. You must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 financial aid eligible credits and have at least a 2.0 quarterly and cumulative GPA.

How do I receive the money?

Unlike many forms of financial aid, the money goes directly to the student instead of the institution. Funds are received in the form of a semi-monthly paycheck. All paychecks are based on a standard hourly wage and the number of hours worked for each pay period.

How much will I get paid?

All federal and state work study employees receive a standard hourly rate. Appropriate taxes will be deducted from your paycheck.

When can I begin working?

Upon completion of your work-study orientation, you may begin working.

How many hours can I work?

Generally, work-study employees are hired to work a maximum of 15 hours per week.

Additional Information

Please note that participation in work-study could reduce future loan requests.

For more details about the Work-Study Program, please read the Work-Study Handbook.

For more information, contact:
Jamie Huey
Financial Aid Office Room A208

Bates Technical College offers classes in multiple formats. Lectures are remote and labs are on campus with reduced size, using strict safety precautions. We aim to provide a complete educational experience while prioritizing the safety of all students and employees. Learn how we keep students and employees healthy and safe on our COVID-19 resource page.