Welcome to our campus!
Since 1940, Bates Technical College has been serving veterans and their dependents. We provide you with information and assistance to help you succeed. Whether you are pursuing certification, preparing for a new career, or perfecting a skill, we are dedicated to providing the support and information to help our veterans successfully transition to college. Thank you for considering us as your educational choice, and thank you for serving our country.
What makes Bates an ideal choice for veterans?
From the moment a veteran or a service member steps onto a college campus, they face a unique set of challenges and barriers that set them apart from other students. You may have family responsibilities, a different perspective on life than a traditional college student because of military-related experiences, or might be out of practice with your academic skills. Some also struggle with PTSD or other injuries. So, how can Bates help make the transition into higher education easier for America’s heroes?
With about 900 veterans or military students taking courses at Bates, we remain committed to providing every opportunity to help make the transition from military life to civilian life easier. You have served our country. Learn how we can serve you.
VA Transfer Credit Policy
As required by RCW 28B.10.057, Bates Technical College will award academic credit for military training. Bates is growing the list of military training that will transfer for college credit.
Services and programs
- Dedicated staff to help you with your VA Benefits.
- Veterans Resource Center–Our Student Veterans Center is staffed at the Downtown Campus, Room C304 (subject to change) and at the South Campus, Room B512. Funded through AmeriCorps, the center helps veterans complete applications, explains benefits, and helps veterans search for the perfect program. If you’re interested in learning more about your VA benefits, check out our Financial Aid Office website.
- Dedicated program specialist—Andy Hall works in the Financial Aid Office at the Downtown Campus, Room M208, and is dedicated to serving special-funded students like those using GI Bill® funds.
- Child Care Center–Open to students and employees, our childcare center offers affordable care for children ages 1-5 years old, with drop-in care for school-age children. Since women veterans are often the primary caregiver for their children, it’s important to have a convenient and affordable daycare option available.
- Disability Support Services–If you have a documented disability, our DSS can help. Whether you suffer from a physical or mental disability, DSS will address attitudinal or procedural barriers, or any need for academic adjustments or auxiliary aids or services.
Stop by the Veterans Resource Center at the Downtown Campus, Room C304, to find out how we can help.
Other services we can connect you with:
Counseling and assistance
Free counseling and help is available to those who need it. Visit the sites below for more information.
- Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs PTSD Counseling Program, 1.800.562.2308, www.dva.wa.gov/benefits/ptsd
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline, 1.800.273.TALK , www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
- Military One Source, www.militaryonesource.com
- Federal Occupational Health Employee Assistance Program, www.FOH4You.com
- Tacoma Veterans Center, 253.565.7038, www.va.gov/directory/guide/facility.asp?ID=476
- Crisis Text Line, 741-741
- National Suicide Prevention Line, 1-800-273-8255
Selected programs of study at Bates Technical College are approved by the Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board’s State Approving Agency (WTECB/SAA) for enrollment of those eligible to receive benefits under Title 38 and Title 10, USC.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/Trademark_Terms_of_Use.asp.