Community Resources Hub

Bates Technical College cares about our students. The links contained in this page are provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only.

Some services may be closed or unavailable in-person due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Crisis Hotlines 

Are you or is someone you know in emotional distress or suicidal crisis? 

Crisis Text Line   

South Sound 2-1-1 

  • 2-1-1 is a free confidential community service and your one-stop connection to the local services you need, from utility assistance, food, housing, health, child care, after-school programs, elder care, crisis intervention and much more. 2-1-1 is always ready to assist you in finding the help you need. Dial the three-digit number 2-1-1 on your phone or Find Help here. If you are outside of Washington or have a problem dialing the number 2-1-1, please dial 1-877-211-9274. 

Pierce County Crisis Line 

  • Get Help Now: Pierce County Crisis Line: 800-576-7764 TTY: 711, 24 hours a day 7 days a week 

Are you LGBTQ+ and are in emotional distress, suicidal crisis, or just need someone to talk to? 

Trevor Project   


  • The Metropolitan Development Council’s EOC program provides food & hygiene items for pick up every other Friday. Students must be eligible for and enrolled in EOC services to receive care packages. To apply for EOC services, please complete the EOC Enrollment Form here:
  • At each campus, free snack pack lunches are available to any students in need of one. Stop by the office of your campus’ Student Retention Specialist to pick one up! For Downtown campus, see Gladys Mondragon in A220D. For Central campus, see Evelyn Panayi in B104. For South campus, see Hector Perez in A104A. If you need some canned goods to take home, please stop by the student food pantry on Downtown campus located in the Campus Life and Activity Center (A125).

Find a Food Bank Near You 

Are you low-income and want to apply for food stamps?  

  • Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) Basic Food/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). This program helps low-income people make ends meet by providing monthly benefits to buy food. Visit the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services website for eligibility requirements, applications, and benefit information. 

Are you pregnant, a new or breastfeeding mother, or have a child under the age of five and need help feeding your family?  

Department of Health Women, Infants and Children Nutrition Program (WIC) 

  • This program helps improve the health of mothers and children by providing nutrition education, breastfeeding support, monthly checks for healthy food, and health screenings and referrals. 
  • Visit the Washington State Department of Health WIC website for eligibility requirements and benefits information. 

Are you a senior or disabled and need food delivered to your home? 

Are you an immigrant who is ineligible for federal benefits and need help feeding yourself or your family? 

  • Food Assistance Program: Provides benefits to immigrants who are not eligible for the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) solely because of immigration status. 
  • Visit the Washington State Food Assistance Program website. 

Are you looking for free food from a food bank? 

Pierce County Food Banks 

Housing and Utilities 

Pierce County Coordinated Entry Application* 

  • An application with Pierce County’s centralized intake system, called Coordinated Entry, is required for many of the services listed on this page — these services are denoted with asterisks. Call 211 to begin the application process, or visit the Washington 211 website to search available services. 

Do you need housing right now? 

  • Are you a single parent attempting to flee domestic violence with your child? Exodus Housing — Requires Pierce County Coordinated Entry application. Call 211 to begin the process.  
  • Exodus Housing website 

Do you live in Pierce County and are experiencing homelessness or are fleeing domestic violence? 

  • Share and Care House (Rapid Rehousing) — Requires Pierce County Coordinated Entry application. Call 211 to begin the process.  
  • Rapid Rehousing website 

Have you or your family recently become homeless and are looking for a place to live right now? 

  • Family Housing Network (Rapid Rehousing) — Requires Pierce County Coordinated Entry application. Call 211 to begin the process.  
  • Family Housing Network website 

Are you a pregnant woman or a new mother and looking for a place to live right now? 

  • New Beginnings — Provides housing support services for young women who are pregnant as well as new mothers who are in crisis and need assistance with temporary housing.  
  •  New Beginnings Homes website 

Are you homeless or at risk of becoming homeless living with a child under age 17? 

  • Helping Hand House — Requires Pierce County Coordinated Entry application. Call 211 to begin the process.  
  • Helping Hand House website 

Do you live in Puyallup or Eastern Pierce County and need short-term motel assistance? 

  • Open Hearth Ministries — Provides short term motel assistance to those with children up to 18 years old in Puyallup and Eastern Pierce County.  
  • Open Hearth Ministries website 

Do you need short-term or transitional housing? 

Is your family homeless or low-income and need temporary or transitional housing? 

  • Living Access Support Alliance — Requires Pierce County Coordinated Entry application. Call 211 to begin the process.​  
  • ​​​​​Living Access Support Alliance website 
  • St. Frances Cabrini — Provides rent, utilities and furniture. *Must call on MONDAYS promptly at 9 a.m. Services are provided as a first come, first serve basis. Call 253-655-7837 (English) / 253-655-7835 (Español) 

Do you need permanent housing? 

Are you low-income and looking for affordable public housing? 

Is your family homeless, have complex needs or disabilities, and are looking for permanent housing? 

Family Housing Network (Permanent Housing) — Requires Pierce County Coordinated Entry application. Call 211 to begin the process.  

Do you have a disability or have a long history of homelessness and are looking for permanent housing with additional services? 

Share and Care House (Permanent Supportive Housing) — Requires Pierce County Coordinated Entry application. Call 211 to begin the process.  

Are you a member of a Tribal Nation and are looking for permanent housing? 

Puyallup Tribal Housing Authority — *Must be of Native American descent*  

Are you behind on your rent and need help paying? 

Do you need help paying for your energy bills or utilities? 

Are you a homeowner and want to reduce energy usage and lower bills? 

Do you need emergency funds to help stay in school?

Bates’ Foundation offers financial assistance for essential living expenses.  If you need help covering emergency-related expenses due to unexpected situations, please apply to our emergency aid program.

Workforce Education Services 

Special funding programs to help you pay for college 

Bates Technical College offers several programs that may be able to provide you with the financial assistance you need to attend college. 

In addition to the financial aid packages and scholarships available to all students, there are some programs designed to provide aid to individuals in specific circumstances. 

Start here to learn about some of the special funding programs such as Worker Retraining funding, Opportunity Grant and other programs you may qualify for. 

REACH Center 

The Eviction Rent Assistance Program serves eligible Pierce County youth households who have at least one month of rent not paid or partially unpaid since March 1st, 2020. To receive these funds from The REACH Center, the head of household must be between 18 and 24 years old. 

About the Eviction Rental Assistance Program 

  • Households are eligible to receive up to three (3) months of emergency rent assistance between now and December 31st, 2020, or until funding is no longer available.
  • Rent payments due prior to March 1st, 2020, are not eligible.
  • Funds are for rent payments only, and cannot cover utilities or any fees.
  • Payments are made directly to landlord / property owners.
  • Current household income (average over last 60 days) must be at or below 50% of Area Median Income (AMI). Income includes all adult (18 years and older) household members and unearned income attributable to a minor. A household is one or more individuals seeking to maintain housing together. 

Visit the REACH Center website for more information and to apply.

Are you or is someone you know in emotional distress or suicidal crisis? 

  • Are you looking for urgent care clinics? 

Do you need help signing up for insurance or understanding your medical benefits? 

Do you have Medicaid or are uninsured and need to find local health clinics? 


Do you have private insurance and need to find a provider? 

Check the back of the insurance card for the customer service number or provider search engine on the insurance website. 

Do you need immunization help? 


Are you looking for low-cost or free medical care? 


Are you looking for low-cost or free dental care? 


Are you looking for low-cost or free women’s health specialty care? 


Are you looking for low-cost or free gender-affirming specialty care? 


Are you looking for HIV/AIDS services? 

  • Ryan White HIV/AIDS Services (medical, dental, maternal, behavioral health) at Community Health Care (multiple locations in Tacoma area) 


Are you on campus and need access to counseling services? 

Bates Technical College provides counseling by a Master’s level licensed mental health professional who is trained to listen and support you.  


Are you looking for your own counselor or a counselor for someone in your family? 

Clinics Accepting Medicaid and/or Private Insurance 

Search Engines to Find a Counselor Who Is not in a Clinic Setting (only some take insurance) 


Are you LGBTQ+ and looking for community support and events? 

  • The Rainbow Center
    The Rainbow Center’s mission is to “eliminate discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity by providing education, resources, information and opportunities for empowerment to individuals and organization with the south Puget Sound area.” Among other activities, the Center sponsors the Tacoma Pride Festival.
  • Diversity Alliance of Puget Sound (DAPS)
    DAPS offers 8 groups and activities 5-6 times a week. Links for virtual events are not published online for safety reasons. Request Zoom links via email.
  • PFLAG Tacoma
    PFLAG (Parents Families & Friends of Lesbians and Gays). Meets at the Rainbow Center, messages taken at (253) 383-2318.
  • Tacoma Older LGBT
    A non-profit aimed at “advocating for; serving, supporting, and working with older LGBT adults in Tacoma, Pierce County and surrounding areas.”
  • NorthWest 2-Spirit Society
    “This group is open to those who identify as Two-Spirit and our valued Allies. Two-Spirit are those who are Aboriginal/First Nation/Native American/American Indian/Alaskan Native, Metis, Inuit and Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/ Transgender.” The group “provides cultural and ceremonial support to two spirit people, especially young people and their families.”
  • Seattle Aces & Arrows
    A group for people who identify as asexual (ace), aromantic (aro), gray-romantic, gray-ace, demisexual, demiromantic, and all the different other ways people can be aro or ace.
  • Human Rights Commission of Tacoma
    747 Market Street, Rm 836, Tacoma. Phone (253) 591-5151 (phone # is for investigative section)

Are you LGBTQ+ and in are emotional distress, suicidal crisis, or just need someone to talk to?

  • Trevor Project

Call 1-866-488-7386

Text 678678
The Trevor Project website (chat online)

Are you transgender and are in emotional distress, suicidal crisis, or just need someone to talk to?

  • Trans Lifeline
    Call 1-877-565-8860

Trans Lifeline website

Local LGBTQ-competant Medical Care

LGBTQ+-competent, or queer-competent, medical care is a term that signifies that doctors, nurses, and other medical providers understand the nuances of queer identities and the specific medical needs that may arise for people who hold these identities. Gender-affirming care is a specific example of such care, as trans patients often need access to hormone replacement therapy. Queer-competent medical providers should know LGBTQ+-specific terminology, use patients’ correct pronouns, and understand specific health issues that affect queer people at higher rates.


Note: All of the medical practices listed below follow the informed consent model. Informed consent is a model that allows patients to learn about the effects, side-effects, and possible complications of certain medications and medical procedures and allows them to make their own decisions. This model is in opposition to the older-school model that required a mental health diagnosis by a licensed professional, which pathologized gender diversity.

  • Cedar River Clinics
    “LGBTQ Wellness Services offers quality health care in a safe and culturally responsive environment. Every patient who receives care at Cedar River Clinics is treated with dignity and respect.”
  • Community Health Services
    Community Health Care Centers “offer hormone therapy, referrals to surgical affirmation and basic post-op care. [They also] offer all primary care services including STI/HIV testing, Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis for HIV (PrEP), Post-Exposure Prophylaxis for HIV (PEP) and care for people living with HIV through [the] Ryan White Program.”Use the “Services” bar on the left side of the screen to navigate to relevant services.
  • Planned Parenthood Center of Tacoma
    Planned Parenthood is one of the nation’s leading providers of high-quality, affordable health care, and the nation’s largest provider of sex education. Planned Parenthood will see patients with or without insurance.Use the “Services Offered” bar on the right side of the screen to navigate to relevant services.

Do you need help finding childcare? 

Bates’ Early Learning Center, located at the Downtown Campus, is available to students, staff, and community children. The center serves children ages four weeks through five years old, and offers several program models depending on families’ needs. 


Are you looking for referrals or general resources for childcare in Pierce County? 

Are you in the military and need childcare assistance? 

Are you looking for childcare for pre-kindergarten children? 

  • Child Care Resources can help you find childcare that supports your child’s unique needs and your family’s values, culture, work or other activities. 

Do you have elementary school children and need childcare before and after school? 

Do you need a list of items to look for when touring childcare programs? 

Do you need help paying for childcare? 

 Are you looking for financial assistance or tax credits at the federal level? 

  • provides a list of a range of programs at the federal, state and local level that can help pay for childcare. These take the form of financial assistance or tax credits. 

Are you looking for financial assistance and are a resident of the State of Washington? 

  • Washington State Department of Children, Youth, & Families provides a list of childcare resources and support services specifically for Washington residents, specifically childcare subsidy programs, the Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program (ECEAP), and Head Start Preschools Program. 

Are you in the military and need help covering childcare fees? 

  • also provides a list of assistance programs resources for each branch of the armed services. 

Do you need pregnancy support services? 

 Are you currently facing an unplanned pregnancy and need help or resources? 

  • Planned Parenthood (multiple locations) 
  • Care Net Pregnancy & Family Services of Puget Sound offers free and confidential ultrasounds, STD screenings, pregnancy tests, education on options, and parental support services to families and individuals. (Faith based organization)
  • The Gabriel Project is a confidential and compassionate outreach service for individuals who are distressed over an unplanned pregnancy that coordinates with local parishes to provide support. (Faith based organization)

Do you live in Washington and need access to a wide range of maternity support resources and services? 

  • Pregnancy Aid is a social service agency that provides immediate confidential help to any woman, married or unmarried, in need of personal, practical, and emotional support at no charge. 

Do you live in Lakewood and need maternity support? 

Are you or do you know anyone who is experiencing child abuse or neglect, or do you need to report child abuse or neglect to Child Protective Services (CPS)? 

  • Washington State Department of Children, Youth, & Families has intake numbers for reporting child abuse and provides resources and educational materials to prevent child abuse and neglect. 

Are you currently experiencing child abuse or neglect or know someone who is and needs support? 

  • Olive Crest offers a variety of programs for those experiencing child abuse, ranging from fostering, adoption, and mental health support. 

Do you need information on caring for and supporting your transgendered child or youth?


Are you looking for general resources for family support in Pierce County?

  • Help Me Grow Washington is a free service that connects parents and caregivers to resources in their community. Help Me Grow can help you access the resources you need, whether it be early childhood development screening, application assistance for health insurance, or help finding a food bank, parenting class or low-cost medical clinic.



Do you need a free bus pass?

Bates College FREE Student Bus Pass

Bates Technical College students on all campuses have access to free bus passes to ride Pierce Transit bus lines. Students must be enrolled in a Career Training Program, Technical High School, or General Education courses to access a free bus pass.

To receive your student pass, follow these steps:

  1. Visit to download the Passage: Transit Ticketing app in the App Store or Google Play Store.
  2. Create an account in the Passage: Transit Ticketing app, then tap the menu button located on the top left of the main screen. Tap on “Pass Program”.
  3. Enter the email address you used on your college application. If that does not work, please try your college email address.
  4. After entering your email address and tapping on “Register”, an email will be sent to your account for verification. Open the email and tap on the “Verify” button.

Are you a senior, have a disability, or have Medicare and need reduced fare on public transit?

Regional Reduced Fare Permit (RRFP) — Puget Sound Region

Do you need more information about transportation options in the Puget Sound Region?

  • RIDE UNITED: Lyft Transportation Service Call 211. Our 211 Transportation Navigators can help you with access issues that include bus passes, ridesharing services and other resources throughout Pierce, Thurston and Lewis Counties.
  • Find a Ride (Puget Sound Region) — Online resource gateway where you can search for transportation options and services in the Puget Sound Region. Transportation options include: public transit, special needs transportation, and community shuttles.

Do you need to get your driver’s license?

Do you need to get your driver’s license back?

Do you need more information on suspended licenses?

For more information on types of suspensions, hearings, and how to have your license reinstated in the state of Washington, visit the Washington State Department of Licensing website

Have you completed the FAFSA/WASFA or do you need help?

The Financial Aid department reviews students for eligibility for federal and state grant funds and federal loans per the FAFSA/WASFA. Financial aid is awarded to help students with tuition, books, transportation and housing costs.

Do you need help with student loans or are you facing loan default?

  • Staff from Metropolitan Development Center (MDC) can help navigating student loan default, deferment, or completing paperwork for those at risk of default. Visit Bates’ webpage for the Education Opportunity Council (a partnership between Bates Technical College and the MDC) to enroll in the EOC program and receive help from an EOC advisor.
  • Student Connections– Free student loan counseling and repayment options


Are you interested in scholarships?

Many scholarships can be found online through websites such as:

  • Bates Technical College Foundation Scholarships web page
  • The Washboard
  • WA Opportunity Scholarship- WSOS offers two scholarship programs for Washington state residents pursuing a credential towards a high-demand career in Washington state. Our Baccalaureate Scholarship is for Scholars pursuing a bachelor’s degree in a STEM or health care field. The Career and Technical Scholarship (CTS) is for Scholars pursuing a degree or certificate in a high-demand trade, STEM or health care field such as welding, manufacturing or information technology.

Are you receiving unemployment benefits or have received WA unemployment benefits in the last 48 months; separated from the military in the last 48 months or will in the next 12 month; displaced homemaker; are employed in a position that is not in demand?

Visit the Worker Retraining webpage.

Are you receiving assistance through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and enrolling in a Professional Technical Associates degree or certificate?

Visit the Basic Food Employment and Training (BFET) webpage.

Are you a parent receiving cash assistance through DSHS and pursuing a Professional Technical Associates degree or certificate?

Visit the WorkFirst webpage.

Are you a Washington resident, enrolled in a Professional Technical Associates degree or certificate?

Visit the Opportunity Grant webpage.

Are you a veteran or dependent who qualifies for Veteran’s Education Benefits?

Visit the Veterans Services webpage. Or email

Are you looking for funding or resources outside of Bates Technical College?

WorkSource– We partner to connect employers and jobseekers – supporting transitions to new jobs and empowering careers.

Do you need a full-time, part-time, work-study, or internship position?

  • WorkSource– We partner to connect employers and jobseekers – supporting transitions to new jobs and empowering careers.

Are you between the ages of 16-24?

The REACH Center’s Youth Employment Center  in Goodwill’s Milgard Work Opportunity Center offers a resource/computer room for job search process and training programs.

  • Call (253) 573-6590 for more information

Are you receiving or applying for unemployment, training benefits or commissioner approved training?

WorkSource staff assist students and community members with navigating unemployment, researching in-demand occupations, and programs on the Eligible Training Provider list.

Do you need help with your taxes?

Do you need a lawyer?

  • Pierce County Legal Assistance Organizations — A list of organizations that help with legal problems in Pierce County.
  • 211 Washington Information Network — General legal aid in Washington State; search by location.
  • Tacoma Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service — Helps connect callers with the right attorney.
  • Tacomaprobono — Can help with civil legal issues in Pierce County when you cannot afford to hire an attorney. You do not have to be a Pierce County resident to get help with your case.
  • The Northwest Justice Project — Provides free civil (non-criminal) legal services for people who cannot afford a lawyer in Washington.


Are you low-income and need legal help?

  • Tacomaprobono — Helps with civil legal issues in Pierce County when you cannot afford to hire an attorney. You do not have to be a Pierce County resident to get help with your case.
  • Northwest Justice Project CLEAR Project — For low income clients; no criminal law or personal injury, but can give a referral.
  • Washington Law Help — A nonprofit organization offering low-cost legal assistance in civil (non-criminal) legal matters.

Are you or a family member detained at the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma?

Are you or a family member a victim of domestic violence?

Are you an immigrant or refugee and need legal assistance?

Are you an undocumented student and need to know your rights?

Are you an undocumented student and need to prepare for an ICE or police raid?

Are you reentering into the community from prison after incarceration?

  • Washington Reentry Guide — Quick links to common questions about reentry from experts in Washington state law.
  • Washington State Department of Corrections Reentry into the Community — Includes links and info about firearms, explosives, and ammunition possession; voting rights; and other resources.
  • New Connections — Helps people successfully re-enter the community after incarceration.
  • Community Partnership for Transition Services (CPTS) — A collection of agencies and individuals that work together to support successful transitions for people returning to our communities after incarceration.

CPTS Washington website

Do you plan to separate from the military in the next 12 months?

Are you looking for a job in the civilian workforce within the last 6 months of your military service?

  • The VIE-25 program, which stands for Veterans Industry Education, connects service members with career credentials during their last six months of military service so they may qualify for in-demand jobs right away.

Are you in need of PTSD Counseling Program?

Are you considering applying for Unemployment, Training Benefits or Commissioner Approved Training after separating?

  • WorkSource co-located staff assist students and community members with navigating unemployment, researching in-demand occupations, and programs on the Eligible Training Provider list.
    • Call 253-964-6798 for hours of availability
    • Call 888-316-5627 for assistance
    • WorkSource website

Do you have questions about using your VA education benefits?

  • The Veterans Affairs Benefit at Bates Technical College act as liaisons between the College and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Our certifying officials will assist veteran students and eligible dependents by verifying their paperwork and submitting it to VA.

Are you looking for/interested in resources offered through Washington VA, not currently offered at the College?

  • The Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs offers a variety of resources and connections to local resources specifically for veterans, including employment, housing, education, obtaining documents and more. Connect now to find out if you eligible for Veteran’s benefits!

Are you looking for a job and need help with your job searching skills or are looking to explore career pathways?

  • Adult Education Advisors with the EOC at Metropolitan Development Council (MDC) are happy to help! 
  • WorkSource website provides Career exploration, job searches, resume writing and additional workshops.
  • Job and career resources includes resume’ writing, career exploration, networking, interviewing and more.

Are you looking for resources outside of Bates Technical College?

  • Referrals to 211 for Emergency Funding: Individuals can connect directly to 211 via phone or can work with a Workforce Education Services staff member to be connected to a 211 Navigator through the Common Referral System.
    • Call 211

Do you want to connect with the veteran community?

  • USO, 12th St Building 2201, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA 98433
  •  VFW Post 91 , 2000 S Union Ave, Tacoma, WA 98405, (253) 759-6995

Are you looking to connect with other veterans enrolled at Bates Technical College?

    • Student Veterans ClubTo promote support for student veterans with students, faculty and staff and a network that creates mutual collaboration between club members and outside organizations. The club meeting times are and location: The third Friday monthly at 11:30 a.m. in the south library.
    • Veterans Center Our Student Veterans Centers are located:
      • Downtown Campus, Room C304
      • South Campus, Room B512

Are you a veteran or know a veteran and in a mental health crisis?

  • The Veterans Crisis Line has specially trained responders ready to help you, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. The Veterans Crisis Line connects service members and veterans in crisis, as well as their family members and friends, with qualified, caring VA responders through a confidential toll-free hotline, online chat, or text-messaging service.
    • Call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1 to talk to someone
    • Text 838255to connect with a VA responder
    • Online Crisis Chat

Are you a veteran or a family member of a veteran and need access to mental health care?

  • The Steven A. Cohen Military Family Clinic at Valley Cities, a clinic sponsored by The Cohen Veterans Network, Inc., a not-for-profit philanthropic organization, was created to serve veterans by providing high-quality, accessible, and integrated mental health care. All post-9/11 veterans and their families are eligible for high-quality, accessible treatment at the Steven A. Cohen Military Family Clinics. There is no cost for the care if you don’t have insurance.



The links contained on this page do not constitute an endorsement or an approval for any of the services or information provided. The college bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site/organization or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external organization for answers to questions regarding its website content.