South Sound's only American Culinary Federation-Accredited Culinary Arts degree and certificate program!
Bates Technical College offers South Sound’s only American Culinary Federation Accredited Culinary Arts degree and certificate program! If you have a passion for food and have always dreamed of being in the culinary industry, Bates Technical College’s culinary arts program is for you. You can earn either an associate of applied science degree or certificate and will receive training from award-winning instructors and obtain the skills and experience to get leading jobs in the fast-paced culinary field.
Dan Eberle, Career Advisor
7:30AM - 4:00PM
More about the program:
Students prepare for a variety of careers in the culinary arts profession and for advanced education at other culinary institutions. Career paths include dinner cook, institutional cook, cook’s helper, baker’s helper, fry cook, and short order cook. Students work in all aspects of the dining facilities on campus, planning and preparing meals and catering banquet functions. Instruction includes food planning and preparation, and serving and cleanup. Graduates receive a broad base of skills and are well prepared for a variety of entry-level culinary jobs.
Degrees & Certificates:
- Associate of Applied Science: Culinary Arts
- Certificate of Training: Hospitality-Line Cook
- CIP: 12.0503 EPC: 850
- AAS degree program length: 6 Quarters
- Certificate of Training: 2 Quarters
Faculty and Other Contact Information:
Note: Information is accurate as of its original posting date. The college reserves the right to edit, change, or update information as needed throughout the year. Up-to-date information is available in Student Services.
Culinary Arts AAS (118 Credits)Description:
- 6 quarter AAS
- Maximum class size: 18
- Student to teacher ratio: 9:1
- Enrollment point: Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer
- This degree offers online, hybrid, web-enhanced, and face-to-face courses. Please see course descriptions for more information.
- The Culinary Arts (AAS) degree prepares Bates technical college students in a variety of careers in culinary arts, hospitality management or culinary arts management. Graduates receive a broad base of skills and are well prepared for a variety of entry-level positions.
- Fully operational culinary arts facility with full restaurant equipment in kitchens and dining areas.
- Students are responsible for purchasing a Professional Chef Tool Kit, including knives, uniforms, non-slip shoes, and other food preparation tools. Student discounts available through approved vendors.
Description: While training in the culinary arts program, students learn foundational kitchen techniques. International cooking styles, and knife skills. Hands-on cooking classes cover skills like sauce preparation, baking, pastry techniques, and menu planning. While working in all aspects of the dining facilities on campus and off with planning and preparing for events and preparing meals and catering banquet functions.
- Culinary Arts with an AAS degree will:
- Obtain certification from the American Culinary Federation as a Certified Culinarian
- Be Certified as ServSafe Food Manger
- This program is certified by the American Culinary Federation (ACF)
Culinary Arts AAS (118 Credits)
Course Code Course Title Course Credits CARTS101 Intro Fundamentals to Culinary Arts 6 CARTS105 Garde Manger I 1 CARTS154 SERVSAFE SANITATION 3 CARTS106 Breakfast Methods 2 CARTS111 Introduction to Baking 5 CARTS150 Cooking Techniques 6 CARTS151 Cooking Techniques II 6 CARTS112 Advanced Cooking Techniques 5 CARTS152 Introduction to Food Truck 5 CARTS153 Mobile Food Operations 6 CARTS104 Customer Service 3 CARTS201 Menu Development 2 CARTS202 Protein Identification/Utilization 3 CARTS250 Catering/Banquets 6 CARTS252 Regional Cuisines of North America 4 CARTS204 Pastries and Plated Deserts 5 CARTS253 Sustainability/Organic Foods 4 CARTS254 Modern Bread Techniques 3 CARTS258 Garde Manger II 5 CARTS211 Student Practical 5 CARTS213 Wines/Spirits 4 CARTS255 Culinary Trends 2 CARTS256 Intro to Management 4 CARTS257 Culinary Flavor Profiles 5
General Education Requirements
Communications (5 Credits Required)
Course Code Course Title Course Credits ENGL&101 English Composition I 5
Note: See a Career Advisor prior to choosing courses that meet general education requirements.
Humanities/Social Sciences/Natural Sciences/Other (5 Credits Required)
Quantitative (5 Credits Required)
Hospitality-Line Cook Certificate of Training (32 Credits)Description: 2 quarter Certificate of Training
Culinary Arts-Line Cook Certificate of Training (32 Credits)
No eligibility requirements have been provided.
At Bates, our tuition is affordable and there are options to help make it even easier to gain an education. Federal aid is available for many of our students. Scholarships are also available through the Bates Foundation.
See if you qualify for other funding through our special funding programs with the Workforce Education office.
- National Median Salary: $51,530
- National Potential Annual Job Openings: 18,500
This information is based on data from O*Net, captured on June 2021.
No forms have been provided.