CDL Entry Level Driver Training
Get behind the wheel and gain hands-on Commercial Truck Driving experience!
Want to be a truck driver? The industry is wide open! According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay for a truck driver is $42,480 per year. At Bates, you can earn your certificate of training and Class A CDL with all endorsements in just one quarter. Students train in three axle tractors (9-speed, 10-speed and 13-speed transmissions, 28-53 foot trailers). All students begin on a commercial truck simulator and then progress to behind-the-wheel driving. Students learn logbooks, receive Atlas training, and complete weight distribution and backing exercises. Earn your Class A, B, and C CDL and get a job driving local (intrastate) or cross-country (interstate).
Brandon Held, Career Advisor
7:30AM - 4:00PM
More about the program:
Students prepare for entry-level employment as commercial truck drivers with the goal of a Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with all endorsements. Training takes place in classrooms, on Bates’ truck driving range, and on the road, using a variety of equipment.
- Through an Opportunity Grant, special tuition and book funding is available to assist low-income adult students entering this program. Contact our Workforce Education Services office for additional information.
- We are accepting applications for Fall Quarter.
- We encourage you to get on the waitlist. Enrollment into the CDL course is on a first-come basis.
Degrees & Certificates:
- Certificate of Training: Commercial Truck Driving
- CIP: 49.0205 EPC: 715
- Certificate of Training: 1 quarter
Faculty and Other Contact Information:
Note: Information is accurate as of its original posting date. The college reserves the right to edit, change, or update information as needed throughout the year. Up-to-date information is available in Student Services.
Commercial Truck Driving Certificate of Training (21 Credits)Description:
- One quarter Certificate of Training
- Maximum class size: 10
- Student to teacher ratio: 10:1
- Enrollment point: Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer
- This certificate offers primarily face-to-face instruction with some online, hybrid, and web-enhanced courses. See course descriptions for details.
- Commercial truck driving boasts 11 class A trucks, 14 trailers, 3 class B box trucks, advanced truck simulator, the only closed course CDL driving range in WA state.
- Students are responsible for purchasing gloves and a hammer. DOL fees including driving record, Medical cert., Permit fees, skill test, and CDL issuance.
- Full time CDL training program with very high pass rate. No night time program offered at this time.
Commercial Truck Driving Certificate of Training (21 Credits)
Course Code Course Title Course Credits TRUCK201 CDL Testing Introduction 1 TRUCK202 CDL Simulator 1 TRUCK203 Atlas, Logs, Hours of Service 1 TRUCK204 Hazardous Materials Safety Training 2 TRUCK205 Yard Operations 3 TRUCK206 Pre-Trip Training 3 TRUCK207 Range Driving 3 TRUCK208 Backing Exercises 3 TRUCK209 Road Driving 2 TRUCK210 Proficiency and CDL Testing 2
Prerequisites – Applicants must:
- Possess a valid Washington State driver’s license;
- Have a driving record with no DUI, negligent, reckless, or hit and run infractions within the past five years;
- Have no more than three moving violations in the past 36 months (a state vehicle operating requirement);
- Must be able to pass the Federal Department of Transportation physical exam and drug screen;
- Not have a felony within the past five years;
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age to enroll in local commercial driving;
- Be a minimum of 21 years of age to enroll in long-haul commercial driving.
The CDL Entry Level Driver Training program is not eligible for financial aid. If you do not wish to self-pay, please contact our financial aid office to explore eligibility criteria of alternative financial assistance sources.
- National Median Salary: $45,260
- National Potential Annual Job Openings: 209,200
This information is based on data from O*Net, captured on June 2021.
No accreditation or related information have been provided.
No course maps have been provided.
No forms have been provided.