An extension has been granted to operators required to complete a Boiler Refresher by August 1, 2023. These operators will now have through December 31, 2023 to submit their proof of completion. Further details will be mailed to those that have been impacted.
Bates Technical College offers Boiler Operator Certification Testing for:
- Class I Chief Operating Engineer
- Class II and III Operating Engineer
- Class IV and V Boiler Fireman
Certification is required to operate boilers in the City of Tacoma. Bates administers testing monthly at South Campus, 2201 South 78th Street, Tacoma. Call 253.680.7402 for more information about scheduling a test.
All boiler operator certificates must be renewed annually. Renewal notices will be mailed out by June 1. The cost is $60 to renew between June 1 and the expiration date (Aug. 1). If certificates are not renewed by the expiration date, certificates will enter a 45-day grace period (ending on Sept. 15). During this grace period, a late fee of $25 will be added. Therefore, the total cost to renew a certificate throughout the grace period is $85.
About Boiler Refresher
- It is required to take a Boiler Refresher course every five years.
- Refresher courses are usually eight hours long and finished in one or two days. They consist of a review of operation safety and give operators an overview of new technology. An open book test (on what was covered in class) will be given at the end.
- Students will receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of the class. You must submit a copy of that Certificate of Completion as proof of attendance.
- Notification will be mailed out a year in advance as a reminder to take a Boiler Refresher course and will include a list of institutions that offer approved courses. This requirement is in addition to paying your annual renewal fee.
- Failure to complete a course will result in the expiration of your certificate.
- The tuition paid for the Boiler Refresher course cannot be applied towards your annual renewal fee.
If you are interested in being a boiler instructor, please call 253.680.7402.
Boiler Certification exams are held monthly on Wednesdays. Please note that you must turn in a completed application form on or before the application deadline.
Testing takes place from 5-7 p.m. at Bates’ South Campus in Building E, Room E101B.
Samuel Cureton, Chief Boiler Certification Examiner, evaluates each application and will contact individuals who do not meet the exam eligibility criteria. If you have any questions about certification test eligibility, please contact Samuel Cureton at 253.680.7407 or email@example.com.
2022 Exam Dates
|Jan. 19||Jan. 11|
|Feb. 16||Feb. 8|
|March 16||March 8|
|April 20||April 12|
|May 18||May 10|
|June 15||June 7|
|July 20||July 12|
|Aug. 17||Aug. 9|
|No exam, summer break|
|Oct. 19||Oct. 11|
|Nov. 16||Nov. 8|
|Dec. 21||Dec. 13|
2023 Exam Dates
|Jan. 18||Jan. 10|
|Feb. 15||Feb. 7|
|March 15||March 7|
|April 19||April 11|
|May 17||May 9|
|June 21||June 13|
|July 19||July 11|
|Aug. 16||Aug. 8|
|No exam, summer break|
|Oct. 18||Oct. 10|
|Nov. 15||Nov. 7|
|Dec. 20||Dec. 12|
Boiler Certification Packet Materials
- Eligibility Criteria
- How to Apply for the Boiler Certification Exam
- Appeals Procedure
- Boiler Certification Application Form – Rev. 1/2022
- SCB Instruction Policy
- Procedure to Establish Operating Certification for Steam Boiler Operators
- Tacoma City Ordinance #26951 (Tacoma Municipal Code Chapter 6B.60)
- Washington Administrative Code 296-104-100
- Referenced Materials for Testing
- What Every Boiler Operator Should Know
- Sample Test Questions
View our Steam Certification Board page for more information.
Renton Technical College
300 NE 4th Street
Renton, WA 98056
Online Classes: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
In-person Classes: 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- September 23 (online)
- October 14 (in-person)
- October 28 (online)
- November 4 (in-person)
6624 S. 196th St, STE U-100
Kent, WA 98032
Accepting online registrations only.
Time: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- August 18
- September 22
- October 19
- November 16
- December 14
- Topics must include boiler safety, regulation additions/changes and new technology
- Minimum of eight (8) hours of instruction
- Include a written, open-book examination
- Completion of a recognized School of Technology or Boiler Training Program during the refresher cycle time period
- Industry training events, such as the Washington State Boiler Inspectors Association (WSBIA) Boiler Operators Symposium