In order to ensure that web content provided to students is accessible, it is important to understand what makes a website accessible.
Features of Accessible Websites
- Proper use of HTML headings.
- Images need to have alternative descriptions.
- Links and buttons should have title tags.
- Menu navigation should be accessible.
- Web pages can be navigated with a keyboard.
- Form controls should use labels, instructions, and validation/error messages.
- For data, tables should have column headers.
- The website should have proper color contrast. Color should not be used to convene meaning alone.
- Link text should make sense on its own and not be vague.
- Lists should be ordered or unordered.